Sup. I am a 25 years old computer scientist/engineer, working as a research fellow at CERN, in Geneva, Switzerland. You can reach me at
lastname (at) cern.ch.
I am involved in quite a lot activities in software, open source and hacktivism. Here you can find out more about me and my involvements. There’s also a blog with various unrequested opinions and some technical notes.
I break stuff and.. do things?
Mostly related to computers and typing *lots* of rubbish into them.
At CERN, I’m building an Open Archival Information System for the Digital Memory project. I’m also involved in digital libraries software enabling Open Data (and Access), such as Invenio (the software powering Zenodo) and Archiver, an european initiative for archiving and preservation of research environments.
I have a BSc and a MS in Computer Science. I got the BSc with a thesis on Integer programming approaches to the DNA recombination problem in ciliates and the master working on the CMS detector at the Large Hadron Collider, upgrading and modernising the trigger monitoring software.
Show me something cool
Oke, here’s some fancy stuff running in the browser:
- Interactive and real time 2D simulation of the Kalman Filter in use to reduce statistical input noise.
- A simulation of Physarum, the “smart slime mould” able to solve mazes.
I directly lead and manage these initiatives:
- gbdev, Home of the Game Boy development scene. A community of retro-hardware enthusiasts. Maintaning and developing many projects, including curated collections of resources, documentation efforts, digital preservation and an open archive of homebrews.
- Virgilio Data Science. A Machine Learning and Data Science online course.
- emergenzeHack. Community civic hacking effort, supported by ActionAid, producing open data and open source tools to face emergencies and help the population during crisis (as the Covid19 outbreak or the 2016 central Italy earthquake).
- CoderBot. A programmable robot with educational purposes developed by unimib.
- dailyProgrammer, an app for coders, developers or students: daily coding challenges for learning, refreshing or just for fun.
Many more on my GitHub profile.
Some of the last things I did:
- Technical Coach, Teacher of a coding class in middle school at “Scuola Primaria Bergognone” (Milan) for Girls code it Better, a project trying to bridge the gender gap in STEM subjects. 3 weekly hours. I wrote a blog post about this (2018-2019).
- Tutor of the Python for Data Science online course offered by unimib (2020, 2021).
- IT Technician at IMPRECOM Srl (2014-2020).
- Technical leader of the CoderBot project at unimib. I was in charge of restructuring the full software stack, re-designing APIs and developing a new UI using reactive frameworks, while leading and supervising a team of 8 graduating Computer Science students working on the project (2018-2019).
- Project Manager for Hawks Holding in Arcore, Milan (2018-2019).